Sign up to complete homebuyer education

To buy a home with City help, you have to attend an orientation, a workshop, and meet a housing counselor.

What to do

1. Decide who needs to go

Generally, every adult living in the household must finish homebuyer education. 

While all spouses and domestic partners must go, other legal dependents claimed on your taxes, like children or elderly parents, do not have to attend homebuyer education.

2. Sign up for a free orientation

You must go to a free 2 hour introduction session to see if buying a home with City help is the right path for you.

3. Register for a workshop

If you decide to continue buying a home with City help, you will need to do a 6 hour workshop.

You can take the workshop at the same place you did your orientation. Some agencies offer the workshop all in one day. Some agencies offer the workshop online.

Register for a workshop

4. Gather your documents

You will need:

  • 3 months of your most recent bank statements
  • 3 years of your most recent tax returns
  • 3 most recent paystubs

5. Meet with a housing counselor

Meet one on one with a housing counselor, at the same place you did your workshop. This meeting will be 2 hours long.

Bring your financial documents to this meeting.

6. Get the Homebuyer Education Verification form

This form confirms you finished homebuyer education and is valid for 1 year.

You must include a verification form dated within the last year, when applying to buy a home.

If it's been more than a year since you finished education, talk to your housing counselor.

Get help


Email to schedule an appointment.



Last updated November 18, 2022