FRDALP provides down payment assistance of up to $500,000 to help first responders purchase a market-rate property in San Francisco. This loan is intended to be used for the down payment on a property that will become a primary residence. The owner can re-sell the property at market prices at any time.
FRDALP is a silent second loan that requires no monthly payments. When the property is sold or transferred, the owner pays MOHCD back the principal amount of the loan, plus an equitable share of appreciation of the property.
You can view program funding balances.
You can apply for a FRDALP if you:
- Are an active uniformed, sworn member of the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD), San Francisco Fire Department (SFFD), or San Francisco Sheriff’s Department (SFSD)
- Are a first-time homebuyer in San Francisco. You must not have any ownership interest in a residential unit in San Francisco for the last 3 years.
- Have completed homebuyer education and have a mortgage loan pre-approval letter from a MOHCD-approved lender.
- Fulfill other eligibility requirements in the General DALP.
- Make no more than 200% of the Area Median Income (AMI) for your household size.
For a household size of 1 person, 200% AMI in 2023 is $201,700
For a household size of 2 people, 200% AMI in 2023 is $230,600
For a household size of 3 people, 200% AMI in 2023 is $259,400
Apply for the FRDALP
The application period for the 2023 DALP has now closed.
MOHCD is contacting applicants and processing applications in the following order: Educators DALP, First Responders DALP, and General DALP. Depending on your lottery rank, it may take several months to a year before MOHCD contacts you.