Apply for a license to collect solid waste

Get a Refuse Collector License to collect, transport, or dispose of trash, recycling, and compost.

What to do

You need to have a Refuse Collector License to pick up, move, or dispose of solid waste. Permits last 10 years. Learn more about the regulations for a license to collect solid waste.

1. Complete an application

2. Include additional documents

  • Business Registration Certificate
  • Declaration of Healthy & Safe Working Conditions
  • Worker’s Compensation Declaration for Regulated Businesses
  • 5 letters of recommendations or references
  • Resume of your key managers
  • Your criminal, civil, and administrative violations in the last 10 years. Include the history, description, and outcome.
  • Any denial, suspension, or revocation of a Refuse Collector License. Include the history, description, and outcome.

You must meet the filing requirements in Chapter 6. Section 1 of the Regulations.

3. Submit your application

Email your application materials to

4. Pay the application fee

Check the fee schedule for the application fee. Pay the fee on the second floor of the San Francisco Permit Center. Pay the application fee with a credit card or check made out to "San Francisco Department of Public Health". Include your project name and address on the check.

Department of Public Health

Solid Waste
Permit Center
49 South Van Ness
2nd floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
View location on google maps

Ownership changes

You can’t transfer your permit to another person, firm, or corporation. If your business is changing owners, the new owner must submit a new application. A change of ownership is at least 50% of the control of the business, including:

  • A change in corporate structure
  • Ownership transferring sale
  • Transfer of 25% stock ownership

Last updated April 18, 2024