Get a Limited Live Performance permit

You need a Limited Live Performance permit if you want to host entertainment on a regular basis as a secondary activity, like a restaurant with live music.

What to do

About Limited Live Performance (LLP) permits

You need a Limited Live Performance (LLP) permit if you have entertainment at your business on an ongoing basis, and:

  • Entertainment is a secondary use for the business. For example, a restaurant with live music
  • Performances must end by 10:00 p.m. or 11:00 p.m. daily, depending on zoning rules
  • Performance area cannot occupy more than 200 square feet of space

You can provide entertainment either indoor or outdoor. 

Entertainment includes any of the following:

  • Musician 
  • Band
  • DJ
  • Theater performance
  • Dance performance
  • Comedy show
  • Karaoke
  • Fashion show
  • Poetry reading

See how the code defines entertainment

You don’t need an entertainment permit if you have:

  • Indoor pre-recorded music that doesn’t involve a live performer, like a song playlist or a jukebox
  • An unamplified solo performer that’s performing indoors at a business before 10pm
  • Indoor trivia
  • Indoor magic shows
  • Indoor music lessons

1. Submit your application

Get your documents ready

We will also ask you for:

You will need to include these documents in your application:

  • A diagram showing:
    • Performance area and dimensions
    • Where speakers are located
    • Outdoor performance space, if applicable
    • See examples
  • Liquor license, if applicable
  • Health Permit from the SF Department of Public Health, if applicable
  • Place of Assembly Permit from the Fire Department, if occupancy is 50 or above

Applying does not guarantee you will get a permit. We will contact you if there is an issue with your application. 

2. Attend a meeting

You'll meet with our Deputy Director. At the meeting we will review the application in full with you and go over the next steps.

3. Pay the application fee

Pay online with a credit card or electronic check

You can also pay by check or money order. Make payable to “City and County of San Francisco.” 

We collect your permit application fee. Fees are updated every July. 

The Treasurer and Tax Collector bills you separately for the annual license fee.

4. Let your neighbors know

We send your application packet to City departments for their review and approval. These include the Planning Department, Police Department, and any other relevant City departments, depending on the permit you are applying for. 

The Entertainment Commission hearing date is scheduled. The Commission meets the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month. 

You will need to do outreach to your neighbors as discussed at your in-take meeting and post our yellow public notice at your location for 30 days. 


5. Attend the hearing

You will need to attend a public hearing.

Commissioners may ask you questions about your plans at the hearing. They will vote on whether to approve your permit. 

If you still have inspections that need to happen, you must pass those inspections before receiving the permit.

6. Post your permit

We will email you a PDF of your permit.

You must post it at your business location. Then you can begin holding the activity that the entertainment permit allows. 

Renew your entertainment permit every year by paying the annual license fee to the Treasurer and Tax Collector.

Special cases

Temporary LLP Permit

Temporary LLP Permit

In order to host “pop-up” entertainment for up to 60 days at an indoor or outdoor premises, a Temporary LLP Permit might be appropriate. A premises must already have a Pop-Up Retail Temporary Use Authorization from the Planning Department before applying for the Temporary LLP Permit. A Temporary LLP Permit may be renewed for an additional 60 days, subject to any required Planning Department approvals. Follow the application steps above and specify in your first email that you wish to be considered for the Temporary LLP Permit. 

Get help

Entertainment Commission

49 South Van Ness
Suite 1482
San Francisco, CA 94103
View location on google maps

This is our office but it's not open to the public. The Permit Center is accepting walk-ins. 

Permit Center (Entertainment Commission)

49 South Van Ness
2nd floor
San Francisco, CA 94103

Open to the public Tuesdays, 10am to 12pm and 1pm to 3pm


Kaitlyn Azevedo, Deputy Director

Last updated April 17, 2024