Get an Extended Hours Premises permit for your business

An Extended Hours Premises (EHP) permit lets you host entertainment and/or serve food and non-alcoholic drinks between 2 am and 6 am.

What to do

About Extended Hours Premises (EHP) permits

You need an Extended Hours Premises (EHP) permit if you want to do all of the following:

  • Host entertainment and/or serve food and non-alcoholic beverages at your business between 2 am and 6 am on a regular basis

Examples include a venue that wants to have entertainment go past 2 am, or a late night restaurant. See how the code defines entertainment

Before you apply, check with us if the Extended Hours Premises permit is allowed for your location

Only properties in certain parts of the city are allowed to apply for an EHP permit.

1. Check to see if you can apply

Email our Deputy Director at to find out if you can get a permit for your location, depending on zoning rules.

Include the following information in your email:

  • Your business name
  • Your business address
  • Your contact info
  • Types of entertainment 
  • Proposed days and hours of entertainment, including the start time and end time
  • If you are planning to have pool tables or mechanical games

Wait for further instructions telling you if you can apply.

2. Submit your application

You must email us before you apply. And you may be required to visit the Planning Information Counter and fill out the Planning affidavit form before completing the application.  We will give you instructions on how to fill out the form in the email.

Get your documents ready

We will ask you for:

You may need to include these documents in your application: 

  • A diagram showing:
    • Performance area and dimensions
    • Where speakers are located
    • Where security is located
    • Outdoor performance space, if applicable

See examples

3. Attend a meeting

You'll meet with our Deputy Director. At this in-take meeting we will review the application in full with you and go over the next steps.

4. Pay the application fee

Pay online with a credit card or electronic check

You can also pay by check or money order. Make payable to “City and County of San Francisco.” 

We collect your permit application fee. Fees are updated every July. 

The Treasurer and Tax Collector bills you separately for the annual license fee.

5. Let your neighbors know

We send your application packet to City departments for their review and approval. These include the Planning Department, Police Department, and any other relevant City departments, depending on the permit you are applying for. 

The Entertainment Commission hearing date is scheduled. The Commission meets the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month. 

You will need to do outreach to your neighbors as discussed at your in-take meeting and post our yellow public notice at your location for 30 days. 

6. Schedule any required inspections

An inspection from other departments may be required. You will be given instructions at your in-take meeting.

Check inspection fees.

7. Attend the hearing

You will need to attend a public hearing.

Commissioners may ask you questions about your plans at the hearing. They will vote on whether to approve your permit. 

If you still have inspections that need to happen, you must pass those inspections before receiving the permit.

8. Post your permit

We will email you a PDF of your permit.

You must post it at your business location. Then you can begin holding the activity that the entertainment permit allows. 

Renew your entertainment permit every year by paying the annual license fee to the Treasurer and Tax Collector

Get help

Entertainment Commission

49 South Van Ness Ave.
Suite 1482
San Francisco, CA 94103

We are working on a hybrid schedule. Email or call us for help.


Kaitlyn Azevedo, Deputy Director

Last updated July 1, 2024