Request police support for your film shoot

SFPD is required for certain filming activities, including traffic control and scenes with simulated violence.

What to do

1. Check if you need to have police officers at your film shoot

You must have SFPD at your filming location if your shoot involves:

  • Street closures
  • Intermittent traffic control
  • Simulated violence
  • Prop weapons
  • Police prop cars
  • Some drone use

Crew size does not affect the requirement.

2. Indicate the filming activities on your permit application

Check boxes as needed on your Location page for:

  • Street Closure
  • Intermittent Traffic Control
  • Simulated Violence
  • Drone use

We can help determine if you need police support.

If you are sure you need police support

You can download and complete the request form.

Attach the request to your film permit application.

Special cases

Traffic control on Muni lines

Traffic control on Muni lines

If your filming area will impact Muni service on the street, an SFMTA inspector will also be needed to do traffic control. We can work with you to see if you need this.

Get help

Last updated March 8, 2024