Report a noise problem

Submit a noise complaint or report active noise problems that are in violation of noise regulations.

What to do

If you have an ongoing and persistent noise problem between neighbors or businesses, contact Community Boards.

1. Fill out a form for specific types of noise issues

Use this form to report noise complaints related to:

  • Fixed building equipment or mechanical systems
  • Construction on private property
  • Construction on public property
  • Delivery or service trucks
  • Establishment with live entertainment
  • Garbage or recycling collection
  • Large event venue
  • Mobile food facility
  • Traffic
  • Tour bus

We will need:

  • The location
  • Nature of request
  • Description

Include a detailed description of the noise and location of the noise to assist with investigation.

2. Call non-emergency safety for noise in progress that violates Noise Regulations

Call non-emergency safety at 415-553-0123 for active noise problems that are in violation of the noise ordinance​​​​​​.

3. Track your case

After you report, you will get a tracking number from 311. You can use this number, or your email address, to track your case online or on the SF311 mobile app

Expected response time

Response time listed in business days.

  • Building equipment or systems: 10 days
  • Construction on private property: 3 days
  • Construction on public property: 5 days
  • Delivery or service trucks: 5 days
  • Establishment with live entertainment: 5 days
  • Garbage or recycling collection: 10 days
  • Large event venue: 5 days
  • Mobile food facility: 10 days
  • Traffic: 5 days
  • Tour bus: 5 days
  • Other: varies



Call 311 to make a report


415-701-2311 if calling from outside San Francisco
For TTY, press 7

Mobile App

Mobile App

Use the SF311 Mobile App to make a report

Download our mobile app to report a problem and track your request! Available on Android or iOS.

Learn more about the SF311 mobile app.

Special cases



Building construction

  • Noise between 7am to 8pm, 7 days a week, including holidays is generally permitted
  • Noise between 8pm and 7am is unlawful without a special Public Works permit
  • Noise must not exceed noise level of 5 decibels at the nearest lot line, without a special permit. 5 decibels is similar to the sound of a screw gun installing screws in drywall.  
  • Check if permits have been issued and if there are any pending complaints. 
  • If there isn't a permit and you believe the noise exceeds allowed limits:
    • Call  415-553-0123 (Police non-emergency line) if the problem is in progress
    • Report a problem online, on the SF311 Mobile App, or call 311, if the problem is not in progress

Street or sidewalk construction 

Construction on Treasure Island or Yerba Buena Island

Contact TIDA for noise concerns on the islands:


Emergency work for safety reasons is an exception for all construction noises.

Garbage or recycling

Garbage or recycling

There are 2 ways to report garbage and recycling noise:

  • Report a problem to 311. This includes noise about:

    • The collection vehicles
    • The collectors
    • The handling of the bins
    • The time of day or night of the collection
  • Report a problem to the collection company. Recology is the parent company of the 3 companies that serve San Francisco: 

    • Sunset Scavenger: 415-330-1300
    • Golden Gate Disposal and Recycling: 415-626-4000
    • San Francisco Recycling: 415-330-1400

Golden Gate National Recreation Area

Golden Gate National Recreation Area

Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA)

Call National Park Police Non-Emergency at 415-561-5505, 24 hours, if the problem is in progress and originate from within a Golden Gate National Recreation Area location:

  • Baker Beach
  • China Beach
  • Cliff House
  • Crissy Field
  • Fort Funston
  • Fort Mason
  • Fort Point
  • Lands End
  • Ocean Beach
  • Presidio

Neighbors in a multi-tenant building

Neighbors in a multi-tenant building

Persistent noise issues within a multi-tenant building may be the responsibility of the Landlord. 

Learn more about these types of noise issues from the San Francisco Rent Board. 

You can contact the San Francisco Rent Board for more information at 415-252-4602 Monday thru Friday; 9am to 12pm and 1pm to 4pm or submit a service request. You can visit the Rent Board at 25 Van Ness Ave, room 320, San Francisco, 94102 Monday thru Friday; 8am to 5pm.

Salesforce Transit Center

Salesforce Transit Center

Salesforce Transit Center

Noise issues originating from within the Salesforce Transit Center, Call 415-597-5000.



City College of San Francisco (CCSF)

Noise issues originating from within the CCSF campus, call 415-239-3200.

San Francisco State University (SFSU)

Noise issues originating from within or immediately adjacent to the SFSU campus, call 415-338-7200.

University of California San Francisco (UCSF)

Noise issues originating from UCSF campus, call campus police:

  • Mission Bay Station, 600 16th Street, 415-514-4043
  • Mission Center Station, 1855 Folsom Street, 415-476-8871
  • Parnassus Station, 500 Parnassus Avenue, 415-476-1414

University of San Francisco (USF)

Noise issues originating from within the USF campus, Call 415-422-4222.





For noise issues with SFO, call

  • 6-2323 from courtesy phones inside the Airport
  • 650-821-7111 from outside the Airport
  • Or email


For noise issues inside a BART Station or train:

  • Use the courtesy phone inside station
  • BART Police Communications Center at 510-464-7000
  • BART San Francisco Patrol at 510-464-7075

For noise issues outside the BART station (plaza, entrance and exit areas, pavement above) call 415-553-0123, 24 hours a day.


  • For noise issues inside a Caltrains Station or train, call 1-800-660-4287
  • For noise issues outside the Caltrains station (plaza, entrance and exit areas, pavement above) call 415-553-0123, 24 hours a day.

Helicopters and airplanes

To report noise issues from aircraft landing or departing from San Francisco Airport (SFO): 1-877-206-8290. There is a 2 minute recording on how to file a complaint.  You can also send an e-mail complaint to:

Noise NOT associated with an airport, contact:

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Flight Standards District Office

1420 Harbor Bay Pkwy, Ste. 280 Alameda, CA 94502-7083 510-748-0122 (Fax: 510-748-9559)

Mon to Fri, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm  (Office hours by appointment only)


Any complaint (including noise) involving a MUNI bus, train, employee, operation yard or depot, call 3-1-1 or submit Online Feedback

Tour Bus

Noise issues originating from Unenclosed Tour Buses, submit a Noise Complaint

Get help



415-701-2311 if you are calling from outside of San Francisco

For TTY, press 7

Last updated June 13, 2024