Learn about the Displaced Tenant Housing Preference (DTHP)

The DTHP gives a lottery preference that can be used when applying to affordable housing.

What to do

You can claim a DTHP in four ways

  1. Ellis Act or Owner Move-In Eviction

    Your landlord must have filed the eviction with the Rent Board as an Ellis Act or Owner Move InMove-In in or after 2010. Contact the Rent Board for confirmation.

    • If you were evicted you must have received either :
      • A Notice of Intent to Withdraw (NOI)
      • An Eviction Notice which:
        • States the reason for termination is to enable the owner or relative to move-in or
        • References Section 37.9(a)(8) of the Rent Ordinance
    • If you have already moved out, you are still eligible even if your landlord rescinds the eviction. You would not be eligible if you have not moved out and your landlord rescinds the eviction.
    • You don't need to be on the lease to be eligible, but you  must provide documentation demonstrating you lived in the unit. More information about allowable documents can be found in our Housing Preference and Lottery Procedures Manual under Section 5.4 Documentation.
  2. Displacement Due to Unit Extensively Damaged by Fire

    For those who have experienced a fire in their apartment and the damage is so extensive the household cannot return to the apartment within six (6) months.
  3. Unaffordable Rent Increase Due to Affordability Restrictions Expiring

    For Below Maret Rate (BMR) tenants who will pay more than 40% of their income in rent because their BMR affordability restrictions have expired (*as of 2024, this only applies to certain units in the Fillmore Center).

  4. Unlawful Residential Units (illegal units)
    After the Planning Commission instructs to remove a residential unit or the Planning Commission denies an application to legalize the unlawful unit, residents displaced from these unlawful residential units are eligible for a DTHP.
    • Each household member can complete and submit a standard DTHP application.
    • The property owner may serve the tenants a notice to vacate, notice to quit, or other notice from the landlord that the tenant must relinquish their leasehold interest in the residential unit, or the tenant’s intent to relinquish their leasehold interest in the residential unit.
    • If you are unsure if you live in an unlawful unit, please call 311 or submit a request online

How to apply for DTHP

1. Download the correct DTHP application

2. Submit your application to MOHCD

  • Submit your application online by uploading to this secure link.
  • If you are unable to submit your application online, you can submit in person or you can mail your application and supporting documents to:
    DTHP Program
    Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development
    1 South Van Ness Ave., 5th Floor
    San Francisco, CA  94103

More information

Email:  DTHPcertificate@sfgov.org

For specific questions regarding this program or completing the application please call (415) 701-5500. We will strive to return your call within 48 hours.

Download the DTHP Frequently Asked Questions (English)

Download the  Lottery Preferences Manual to see full details about the DTHP program.

Last updated March 15, 2024