Borrowing privileges are available for
- Members of the State Bar of California who are in good standing and who have an office or live in San Francisco
- Judges of courts in San Francisco
- Representatives of a municipal, state, or federal agency in San Francisco
- Law firms can join the Premium Services Membership program.
Anyone can visit the library to use and copy sections from library materials.
Borrowers can assign up to three proxies who can check out items on their behalf.
Loan Periods, Renewals, and Holds
Loan periods: Most of the library's materials can be borrowed for two weeks. Items in high demand, like Rutter Guides, CEB titles, and MCLE programs, can be borrowed for one week. If an item is listed as "Available" in the catalog, it can be checked out.
Renewals: One renewal for one week, if there is not a hold on the item. Renew items by calling (415) 554-1772, emailing email@example.com, or by logging in to your online account on the item’s due date (see Access Your Account Online, below).
Holds: If an item is checked out by another patron, contact us at (415) 554-1772 or firstname.lastname@example.org to place a hold, and a librarian will let you know when the item is ready.
See the library's Borrowing Rules for more details.
Access Your Account Online
To log in:
- Go to the catalog
- Select "My Library Account"
- Enter name and last nine digits of your library card barcode.
Once logged in, you can view your due dates, review holds, and renew items on their due date.
Saving Your Checkout History
We do not automatically keep a record of your checkout history. If you'd like us to maintain a record, you have to opt in.
To keep a record of your checkout history:
- Log in to your account
- Select "Reading history"
- Select "Opt-in."
Contact us if you have questions at 415-554-1772.