What to do
Before your hearing
1. Check the time and date of your hearing
The details will be printed on the notice you'll get in the mail or from your case worker. It will explain why you're being asked to attend a court hearing and what you can do to prepare.
2. Ask to change the date, if you need to
You can ask for a new court date if you can't make the one scheduled.
3. Request courtroom help in a different language
If you'd like someone in court to help you in a language other than English, let us know before your hearing date.
We'll get an interpreter to help you.
4. Get together documents related to your case
You may be asked to submit copies of important documents. These can help set or change the cost of child support.
Have copies of the following documents ready:
- A completed income and expense declaration form
- Your 3 most recent paystubs
- Last year's tax return
- A completed visitation verification form
- Proof of health insurance or medical costs
- Proof of childcare costs, including receipts
- The letter telling you to come to court
If they apply to your case, you might also need to bring:
- Proof of disability or disability benefits
- Proof of custody
During your hearing
Wait for your case to be called
When you arrive to the courtroom or join the virtual hearing, you may have to wait for your case to be called.
If your hearing is virtual, this might take the form of a virtual "waiting room" until the court commissioner is ready for you.
Answer questions when your case is called
When it's your turn, a child support attorney will share information about the case.
You may be asked questions about your income and visits with your child.
After your hearing
The child support commissioner will decide if there's enough information to make a decision about your case.
You'll wait until you're given a document known as an "Order After Hearing." This order will include a child support amount.
If there isn't enough information to make a decision, you may be asked to return at a later time.
Last updated February 9, 2024