San Francisco ballots may include state, local, or district measures. Governmental bodies propose most measures, but voters can propose measures too. You can learn about this process in our Guide to Initiative Measures (PDF). You can also schedule an appointment or call us at 415-554-4375.
This page provides information about local, district, and initiative measures. The Secretary of State provides information about state measures.
Please refer to our March Ballot Measure Calendar to learn about ballot measure timelines for the March 5, 2024 Election.
Please refer to our November Ballot Measure Calendar to learn about ballot measure timelines for the November 5, 2024 Election.
Ballot measure submission deadlines are set by law. When reading about ballot measures below, please note:
- The Director of Elections determines the title and letter designation.
- The title is subject to change before the measure receives a letter.
- If there is no contact information for a measure, the proponent has not authorized us to release this information.
- Our list of potential measures can only include those properly submitted to us.
Potential measures are posted upon submission to the Department of Elections.
Qualified initiative measures will be finalized after November 6, 2023
Qualified local measures will be finalized after December 1, 2023
Qualified district measures will be finalized after December 8, 2023
The Voter Information Pamphlet generally contains “ballot arguments.” These are statements for and against measures on the ballot. We can only publish ballot arguments under certain conditions. You can learn about these conditions in the Ballot Argument Guide (PDF). You can also learn about the process in one of our ballot argument workshops.
You must submit the required form(s) in person at our office by the deadline. You can complete forms in advance or get them from our office. We print ballot arguments in the Voter Information Pamphlet in the order they are submitted.
Ballot argument forms
- Control Sheet A (PDF) Always required. Use this form to present your argument and identify a primary author.
- Control Sheet B (PDF) Have more than one argument author? Use this form to identify all authors.
- Consent Form (PDF) Have supporters who are not authors? Use this form to provide their consent.
- Assignment Form (PDF) Want to assign your right to submit a ballot argument? Use this form to do so.
For questions about ballot arguments, please schedule an appointment or call 415-554-4375.
Last updated October 30, 2023