Apply to operate an aboveground petroleum storage tank

Register with the Aboveground Petroleum Storage Act (APSA) program if you store petroleum like oil or gas.

What to do

1. Contact us

Let us know about your plans to store petroleum like gas and diesel aboveground.

We will ask you some questions to find out if you fit the requirements for being regulated, and will work with you on next steps.

Environmental Health main line

2. Register to get your permit started

Go to the California Environmental Reporting System to get the process started. Follow the prompts to:

  • Use the "Business Portal" sign in
  • Log in or create a new account to get started

3. Plan for spills

You will need to make a plan that says how you will stop spills, and what you will do if a spill happens. This is called a Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure Plan. It must describe the steps, equipment, and workforce you will use.

Talk with us to determine what type of regulation you'll need to follow. We will give you more details after you talk with us and get connected with a district inspector. They'll give you the right template or guidance to create these plans properly.

4. Follow your plan

Once you have a plan, you must follow what it says to prevent and handle spills.

We will inspect your site regularly to make sure you are following related laws.

Get help


Environmental Health main line

Ask for Hazardous Materials and Waste.

Last updated April 16, 2024