Apply to make changes to an underground tank storing hazardous material

You need a permit before you can install, repair, or modify a tank underground.

What to do

All single-walled Underground Storage Tanks must be permanently closed by December 31, 2025. Learn more in Senate Bill 445.

1. Contact us to apply

To get a permit to modify, repair, or install a tank, contact us.

We'll work with you on what you need to include in your permit application.

Environmental Health main line

Ask for Hazardous Materials and Waste.

Have documentation ready

Depending on the project, you might need to include:

  • Plans of the facility and underground storage tank system
    Including a list of specifications for all materials used in the construction.
  • Manufacturers’ cut sheets for tanks, piping and equipment
    Like the monitoring equipment, overspill containment device, overfill protection device, and dispenser pan.
  • Copy of current state contractor’s license
    For example: A, C-36, C-61 D-40
  • Copy of certifications
    ICC and Manufacturers’ certifications for all installers and technicians

We generally process complete applications within 10 working days.

2. Pay the fee

Write a check, cashier’s check, or money order to “San Francisco Department of Public Health”. Check the fee schedule for the exact amount. Mail the fee to:

Environmental Health

Attention: Hazardous Materials and Waste
49 South Van Ness Avenue
Suite 600
San Francisco, CA 94103

Special cases

You might need other permits

You might need other permits

As part of the process, you may be directed to work with the following City agencies:

San Francisco Fire Department

Department of Public Works

Bay Area Air Quality Management District

Department of Building Inspection

San Francisco Planning

Get help


Environmental Health main line

Ask for Hazardous Materials and Waste

Last updated April 16, 2024