Report water quality problems

Report issues with tap water quality including discoloration, odor, taste, or presence of particulate matter

What to do

If you need immediate assistance with your water issue, call 311.

If you're having problems with low water pressure or no water, use a different report instead to ensure the right agency gets your report.

1. Fill out a form

We will need:

  • The location. Provide an exact address of where the water quality problem is.
  • A description of the water quality problem.

2. Track your case

After you report, you will get a tracking number from 311. You can use this number, or your email address, to track your case online.



Call 311 to make a report

415-701-2311 if calling from outside San Francisco
For TTY, press 7

Learn more about water quality

Visit the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission's (SFPUC) website for more information on:

Get help



415-701-2311 if you are calling from outside of San Francisco

For TTY, press 7

Last updated June 13, 2024