Reporting issues outside of the Whistleblower Program jurisdiction

Learn where to get help if your report does not fall under the Whistleblower Program.

The Whistleblower Program only investigates specific types of complaints.

If you have a different type of complaint, you may need to get help elsewhere:

911 emergencies

To report fires, crimes in progress, car crashes, medical emergencies, call 911.

Americans With Disabilities Act     

To report ADA violations, contact the Mayor's Office on Disability.

Building code violations    

To report non-permitted new construction, contact the Department of Building Inspection.

Environmental health issues

Contact the Department of Public Health Environmental Health to report:

  • Chemical hazards (lead, asbestos, pesticides)
  • Indoor air quality issues (mold)
  • Unsafe food or unsanitary food preparation conditions
  • Issues with garbage and refuse

Unlawful business practices

The San Francisco City Attorney’s Office is committed to protecting members of the public.  If you would like to report a complaint about a business, whether the issue affects you or others in the community, please complete the following form.

Workplace bullying (for City employees)

Workplace bullying may include:

  • Belittling or intimidating someone
  • Tampering with someone's personal belongings or work equipment
  • Spreading rumors or gossip

Report bullying to your department's human resources officer.

Criminal conduct

Criminal activity may include:

  • Distribution or sale of illegal drugs
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Violence
  • Bribery
  • Kickbacks
  • Racketeering
  • Money laundering
  • Embezzlement
  • Extortion

Report criminal law violations to the District Attorney or appropriate law enforcement agency.

Discrimination complaints in employment, housing, or public accommodation    

Contact the San Francisco Human Rights Commission to report issues with:

  • Termination
  • Segregation
  • Failure to accommodate

Equal employment opportunity discrimination (for City employees)    

Contact the Department of Human Resources to report:

  • Denial of employment
  • Denial of training
  • Denial of promotion
  • Denial of reasonable accommodation (for disability or religion)
  • Issues with termination or lay-off
  • Harassment
  • Sexual harassment
  • Issues with compensation

Ethics law violations    

Contact the the Ethics Commission to report violations of State or City laws relating to:

  • Campaign finance
  • Lobbying
  • Campaign consulting
  • Conflicts of interest
  • Governmental ethics

Grievance issues (for City employees)

Grievances may include:

  • Violations of bargaining unit contract provisions
  • Violations of past practices
  • Being treated differently than others in the same situation or with similar problems

Report grievances to your department's human resources officer or to your union representative.

Labor law violations

Contact the Office of Labor Standards Enforcement to report violations of the:

  • Minimum wage ordinance
  • Paid sick leave ordinance
  • Health care security ordinance
  • Prevailing wages

Merit system violations (for City employees)

Contact the Civil Service Commission for appeals on:

  • Examinations
  • Eligible lists
  • Minimum qualifications,
  • Classification
  • Discrimination complaints
  • Future employment with the City and other merit system matters

Miscellaneous service issues

Contact San Francisco 311 for:

  • Graffiti abatement
  • Sidewalk defects
  • Water quality
  • Blocked driveways
  • Animal bites
  • Noise complaints

Parking tickets

If you believe your vehicle was wrongly cited, contact the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.

Police officer misconduct (for members of the public)

To file a complaint of police misconduct or improper performance, contact the Department of Police Accountability.

Shelter conditions

Contact the Shelter Monitoring Committee to file a complaint concerning the health, safety, and treatment of residents, clients, staff, and the homeless community.

Sunshine Ordinance compliance

Contact the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force to report problems with the:

  • Sunshine Ordinance
  • Public Records Act
  • Ralph M. Brown (Public Meetings) Act

Whistleblower retaliation (for City employees)

Contact the Ethics Commission if you believe you have been retaliated against for filing a whistleblower complaint. Retaliation may include:

  • Demotion
  • Termination
  • Suspension
  • Other punishment
Last updated December 20, 2023