Apply for a "cottage food" permit

You can sell certain low-risk foods made in your home to customers and food markets if you have this permit.

What to do

1. Make sure you have completed other steps beforehand

Before you apply for your "cottage food" permit, make sure you have:

  • Registered your business
  • Gotten your food handler certificate

View the full steps in the process

2. Determine which permit you need

There are 2 types of permits that allow you to sell food you make at your home:

  • Class A: Selling to people directly (individual customers)
    Sales limited to $75,000 per year
  • Class B: Selling to people and retail locations (markets, bakeries, restaurants)
    Sales limited to $150,000 per year

Learn more about cottage food requirements in California.

3. Fill out the application packet

The first page has a checklist with everything you need to include when you submit your application.

This includes forms like the zoning referral you must have to open your business.

Download and fill out the cottage food application forms.

3. Send your completed application packet and fees to:

Environmental Health Branch

Attention: Cottage Food Program
49 South Van Ness Avenue
Suite 600
San Francisco , CA 94103

Get help


Zack Parsons


Food safety program

Environmental Health Branch,
San Francisco Department of Public Health

Last updated April 24, 2024