Step by step

Get your housing project reviewed if it’s near a venue

Follow the steps if your housing or hotel/motel project is near an existing Place of Entertainment

SF has laws that protect existing Place of Entertainment (POE) permitted venues located near new housing and hotel/motel development projects. This is found in Chapter 116 of the SF Administrative Code

If you are starting to develop a new housing or hotel/motel project within 300 feet of an existing Place of Entertainment, you must contact the Entertainment Commission and follow these steps for Residential Development Review (RDR). 

Our goal is to encourage compatibility in the neighborhood. We want to reduce possible conflicts between entertainment venues and residents or guests.

Questions? Contact Andrew Zverina at the SF Entertainment Commission,, 415-914-4406. 


Check with the Planning Department

Check with your City Planner at the Planning Department to confirm if your project qualifies for the Residential Development Review program. If it qualifies, your City planner will ask you to contact the Entertainment Commission to review your project before the Planning hearing.

You can identify the assigned staff planner through the Planning Department’s Property Information Map, and the assigned planner’s contact information through their staff directory.

Show more

Contact the Entertainment Commission

Email with “RDR Inquiry” in the subject line, providing your contact information, project name, and location. At the same time, submit your Project Sponsor Form online.

Read the Guidelines for Entertainment Commission Review of RDR Projects

We will email you when it is time for you to complete the next step. We will let you know if an Entertainment Commission hearing is required.

Show more

Read and submit the required documents

Review the requirements in the Recommended Noise Attenuation Conditions for developers and project sponsors. Gather the required documents, including:

  • Site plan 

  • Entertainment sound study, if applicable 

  • Proof of community outreach

See required documents and forms for residential development review


Submit the required information and documents to Send us the sound study after it’s completed (see Step 4). 

If an Entertainment Commission hearing is required, we will schedule it at this time.

Show more

Complete the entertainment sound study

You must complete an official sound study for any surrounding Place of Entertainment. Send the results to when you are done.

We need to receive your sound study before the Entertainment Commission hearing.

Show more

IF REQUIRED: Attend the Entertainment Commission hearing

You may be required to attend an Entertainment Commission hearing.

At the hearing, you will

  • Present your project to the commissioners

  • Discuss neighborhood outreach and explain plans for sound abatement

  • Answer questions from commissioners about specific details

We will then send formal recommendations to the Planning Department for project approval.

Show more

Attend the Planning Department hearing

If your project is approved by the Planning Department, you may start construction. 

Send us your results of sound study if you haven't already.

Follow the agreed-upon plans for sound abatement.

Show more

Let your potential residents know

Tell your potential residents that the residence is near a Place of Entertainment by giving them a disclosure notice. You must do this before they sign the agreement to rent or buy the residence.

Your disclosure notice must follow these requirements. The person renting or buying the residence must sign and date the notice to confirm that they have received it.

Hotel/motel projects are not required to do this step for their guests.

Show more

Submit the affidavit to us

What to do:

A.) Download the Affidavit of Disclosure of Neighboring Place of Entertainment.

B.) Fill out and sign the affidavit. 

C.) Then submit the affidavit to us and attach a copy of the signed disclosure notice from each notified resident. You can submit more than one affidavit and disclosure notice at one time.


Show more

Last updated April 11, 2023