Register your vacant storefront

Vacant storefronts must be registered within 30 days of vacancy and re-registered every year.

What to do

1. Have a licensed building professional prepare a compliance report

The professional could be a contractor, an engineer, architect, or licensed building consultant.

The report should document how you are meeting your obligations as an owner of a vacant storefront.

2. Print and fill out the PDF application

We will ask you:

  • Property owner information
  • How you have secured the property against unauthorized entry
  • Your future plans for the property
  • Name of your fire and liability insurance provider
  • Lender information if the property has a notice of default or foreclosure

3. Give us your application, documents, and payment


  • Licensed building professional’s compliance report
  • Vacant building PDF application
  • Copy of your fire and liability insurance policy documents
  • Payment — if using cashier’s check or money order, make it payable to “SF Department of Building Inspection” or “CCSF_DBI”

You can mail the packet or deliver it in-person to our office.

Department of Building Inspection

Code Enforcement Section
49 South Van Ness
Suite 400
San Francisco, CA 94103

After you register

We will contact you to schedule an inspection to ensure the vacant building requirements are being met.

Special cases

Pending lease or sale

Pending lease or sale

You do not need to register if there is a lease or sale pending on the property. You will need to send proof documenting the lease or pending sale, like an MLS number or a copy of the lease.

Get help


Code Enforcement Section

Last updated May 9, 2024