A major storm is expected in San Francisco on Wednesday and Thursday, bringing winds up to 50 mph and up to three inches of rain. This will be followed by a more modest storm over the weekend.
In advance of these storms, we want to encourage building owners to take some basic precautions and be mindful of the potential impact on your property.
Before a storm
- Close and latch any operable windows, and remind your tenants to take this simple but important step.
- Remove all loose or unsecured objects from balconies, roofs, or other outside areas. Outdoor furniture may be especially vulnerable to the high winds.
- If you see any cracks or signs of distress around a window, contact building management to help secure the opening.
- If construction work is happening at a building, scaffolding and construction equipment, and materials should be secured on roofs and outside areas.
During a storm
- If you see something of concern about a building, call 911 if it’s an emergency or there’s an injury.
- Otherwise, file a report at 311, and the Department of Building Inspection (DBI) will send an inspector to investigate.
Thank you for your vigilance, and please be safe.