The Paid Parental Leave Ordinance (PPLO) is a San Francisco law that applies to employers with 20 or more employees worldwide.
Under the PPLO, employers must provide supplemental compensation to employees bonding with a child in addition to any compensation they receive from California Paid Family Leave (PFL).
To comply with the PPLO, employers must:
- Post the Paid Parental Leave poster in the workplace
- Include information about the law in the company handbook
- Provide the Paid Parental Leave form to an employee when the employee notifies the employer that they will become a parent:
- Employers shall pay compensation amounts based on employee’s wages. Here is how it works. California Paid Family Leave benefits + additional employer payment (Paid Parental Leave benefits), up to a cap (in 2023 and 2024, the cap is $2,700).
Employers may use the Paid Parental Leave calculator to determine PPLO compensation amount for employees.
If you work in San Francisco and have a new child, you might be able to get a weekly payment from your employer in addition to compensation from California Paid Family Leave.
You are eligible for PPLO benefits if you:
- Are eligible for Paid Family Leave from California to bond with a baby, adopted child, or foster child
- Have worked for the employer for at least 180 days before Paid Family Leave starts
- Work at least 8 hours a week in the geographical boundaries of San Francisco
- Work at least 40% of their total hours worked in the geographical boundaries of San Francisco
Administrative Code and Rules - The San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed the Paid Parental Leave Ordinance on April 12, 2016.
- The full Paid Parental Leave, article 33H of the San Francisco police code
- Paid Parental Leave amendment (updated April 2020)
- Paid Parental Leave Rules
PPLO poster - Employers must print on 8.5 x 14 inch paper and display at each workplace.
PPLO application form
Employer step-by-step guide
Employee step-by-step guide
If you have questions or wish to report a problem, call 415-554-4190 or email email@example.com.