Information on Hoarding and Cluttering

Attention Landlords, Relatives, Neighbors and Friends of Tenants Exhibiting Hoarding and Cluttering Behaviors:  

Adult Protective Services -

As part of the San Francisco Human Services Agency’s Department of Disability and Aging Services, the Adult Protective Services unit  (APS) works with older adults and adults with disabilities on finding solutions to remediate their situation. With their agreement and cooperation, APS develops a service plan. Please contact APS before an eviction notice is issued based on hoarding and cluttering behaviors. APS can provide early intervention and assistance to San Francisco elders (60+) and adults with disabilities (ages 18-59 years) whose physical or mental condition restricts their ability to protect their rights. APS provides short-term case management and crisis intervention services for San Francisco residents, connecting the individuals to the services needed to ensure their on-going safety. The focus is on maintaining individuals in their own homes. Services include: emergency shelter/in-home protection, counseling, and tangible services. The services are free and voluntary; individuals may refuse them.

Adult Protective Services is located at 2 Gough Street, San Francisco, CA 94103. You can call the APS 24-hour hotline at (800) 814-0009 seven days a week for assistance, referrals and information.


Mental Health Association of San Francisco -

The Mental Health Association of San Francisco also offers information and assistance with hoarding and cluttering issues, including Support and Treatment Groups and Information and Referrals.  Their website is, and their contact information is: Mental Health Association of San Francisco, 870 Market Street, Suite 928, San Francisco, California 94102.  Telephone: (415) 421-2926; Email:


Legal Assistance to the Elderly -

For San Francisco residents who are 60 years of age and older, or adults with disabilities (ages 18-59  years), information and legal assistance with hoarding and cluttering issues may be obtained from Legal Assistance to the Elderly by calling (415) 538-3333 from 9 AM to 5 PM weekdays.

Tags: Topic 991

Last updated February 23, 2024