Decide if you have a City Project

Learn about what makes a City Project and if you need to submit your project to MOD.

What's a City Project

City Projects are buildings or sites that are owned, leased, or funded by the City of San Francisco.


  • City offices and clinics
  • City occupied leased spaces
  • Libraries
  • Parks
  • Playgrounds including those built by philanthropic groups on City land
  • Publicly funded affordable housing
  • Community development projects

Funding sources

Some examples of funding sources for City projects include, but not limited to:

  • General Obligation Bonds
  • General Funds
  • RPD Community Opportunity Fund
  • MOH and Mayor's Office of Housing and Community Development (MOHCD)
  • Office of Economic and Workforce Development (OEWD)
  • State or Federal grants issued to the City


City Projects must be reviewed by one of these two departments:

  • The Mayor’s Office on Disability (MOD)
  • The Department of Public Works (DPW)

DPW reviews projects designed, managed, or built by DPW.

MOD reviews the rest.

The Mayor’s Office on Disability Architectural Access Program has three primary functions:

  • Plan review and field inspection services to ensure ADA compliance for City-owned, leased, or funded sites and facilities. Examples include City offices, recreational facilities (parks), libraries, health clinics, and publicly funded affordable housing.
  • Project management and oversight of the City’s ADA Transition Plan. 100 projects have been initiated over 10 years with a combined value of 46.3 million.
  • Policy development and training to implement ADA compliance for new City initiatives. Examples include Pavement to Parks, Better Streets Plan, Accessibility Building Blocks for bicycle facilities, and others.

Get started

Attach a signed copy of either the MOD or DPW Disability Access Compliance project sign-off form on the cover sheet of your plans.  

Follow the steps to get your City Project reviewed for accessibility.

Once you completed the review process, follow the steps to get your project inspected.

Contact us

If you have questions about a City Project, or want to know whether MOD or DPW will be responsible for the accessibility review, contact us at or 415-554-6789.

For DPW Projects, contact or 628-271-2507.



Last updated February 6, 2023