Cannabis manufacturing business operations

If you make cannabis products, you must tell the Office of Cannabis how you will run your business.

We will ask you for the following information on the manufacturing operations form of the cannabis business application.

Manufacturing process

We will ask what you plan on doing at your business, including:

  • Extraction
  • Packaging
  • Infusion of cannabis

Extraction solvents

If you will do extraction, we will ask about that process. We will also ask if you will use:

  • Volatile solvents (butane, hexane, or pentane)
  • Nonvolatile solvents or mechanical methods

Microbusinesses cannot use volatile solvents.

If you will use nonvolatile solvents, you must specify which ones you will use:

  • Ethanol
  • Food-grade butter
  • Oil
  • Water
  • Carbon dioxide
  • Various mechanical methods


If you package cannabis products, we will ask you to upload a diagram of your packaging.

Infusion processes

If you will infuse cannabis products, we will ask you to describe how you do infusion.

List your products

We will ask what kinds of products you will manufacture. They include:

  • Flower
  • Pre-rolls
  • Edibles
  • Drinks
  • Extracts, such as tinctures, oils, shatter, or wax
  • Concentrates without solvents, such as kief, hash, rosin
  • Topicals, such as lotion
  • Capsules
  • Other

Cannabis manufacturers are not allowed to manufacture noncannabis products.

Reducing odors outside

You must have ventilation so the public cannot smell cannabis from outside. 

We will ask if you will use charcoal filters to vent air to the outside. We will also ask about other methods you will use to reduce odors.

Last updated May 19, 2022