Cannabis cultivation business operations

If you cultivate cannabis to sell, you must tell the Office of Cannabis how you will run you business.

We will ask you for the following information on the cultivation operations form of the cannabis business application.

Your canopy space

We will ask you for the total amount of square feet you plan on using for cultivation, including vertical shelving.

For dedicated cultivators, this space cannot be over 22,000 square feet.  For microbusinesses doing cultivation, this space cannot be over 10,000 square feet.

Your nursery area does not count toward total cultivation space. However, you cannot sell your immature plants.

We will also ask you for the total wattage used by your lighting, across cultivation and nursery spaces.

Water source

We will ask if you will use a source other than City water.

If you are not using City water, we will ask for:

  • Name of your water source
  • Name of your water supplier
  • Point of diversion for your water source


We will ask which of the legal pesticides you will use.


We will ask for the chemical name of any fertilizers you will use.

We will also ask how you will dilute and store your fertilizers.

Propagation materials

We will ask about the materials you will use when growing cannabis plants from seeds, seedlings, or cuttings. These materials include:

  • Rockwool
  • Perlite
  • Expanded Clay Pellets/LECA/Hydroton
  • Coco Coir/Perlite Blend
  • Coco Coir/Expanded Clay Blend
  • Peat Moss Plugs
  • Coco Coir Plugs
  • Bubbleponics/Aquaponics systems, using plant collars and/or 1” net pots

We will also ask which methods of propagation you will use:

  • Seeds
  • Cuttings
  • Seedlings
  • Grafting
  • Tissue culture

Reducing odors outside

You must have ventilation so the public cannot smell cannabis from outside. 

We will ask if you will use charcoal filters to vent air to the outside. We will also ask about other methods you will use to reduce odors.

Last updated May 19, 2022