Have a marriage ceremony at a San Francisco location of your own choosing

Don't want to get married at City Hall? Learn how to plan your San Francisco wedding elsewhere.

What to do

You will need an authorized person to officiate your ceremony. You can request a deputy marriage commissioner from the County Clerk or ask someone you know to become a commissioner for a day.

Request a Commissioner from the County Clerk

If you purchased a marriage license through the San Francisco Office of the County Clerk, you can get married by a deputy marriage commissioner at any location within San Francisco. 

Request a Commissioner to perform a wedding somewhere in San Francisco besides City Hall.

Ask someone you know to become a Commissioner for a day

You also have the option to have someone you know perform your marriage ceremony. 

Any person 18 or over may perform a civil marriage for a specific couple if they are authorized as a deputy marriage commissioner. 

Learn how someone can become a deputy marriage commissioner for a day.

Get help

Office of the County Clerk

City Hall, Room 160
1 Dr. Carlton B Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102

Mon to Fri, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Processing Hours

View location on google maps

Closed on public holidays


Last updated April 28, 2023