What to do
You can apply to get a record of a death certificate for someone who died in San Francisco more than 3 years ago and after 1906.
If you need a death certificate for someone who died in the last 3 years, go to the Department of Public Health Office of Vital Records.
Who can request a death certificate
You can apply to get a Certified Authorized record of a death certificate if you are the deceased person’s:
- Spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, sibling or state-registered domestic partner
- Surviving next of kin
You can also apply for a certified record of a death certificate if you:
- Are an agent or employee of a funeral house
- Have authorization from a certified court order. In this case, you will be asked to provide the court order.
- Have power of attorney and can show a certified copy of your Power of Attorney document
- Are the executor of the person’s estate, with estate documents to prove it
- Work for another government agency and can show your work ID
Order online from VitalCheck.com
VitalChek is a third-party provider for ordering vital records online.
This process can take up to 6 weeks.
You can call VitalChek at (800) 708-6733 to check on an order or if you have questions.
Go to the Office of the County Clerk
You can apply to get a death certificate in person at the Office of the County Clerk. The death certificate must be for someone:
- who died in San Francisco more than 3 years ago
- who died on or after 1906
The person applying must bring an unexpired government-issued photo ID.
To save time, you can also bring your completed application form.
You can pay by cash or credit card. You can also pay with a personal check, money order, or cashier's check, from a US bank and in US dollars.
1. Fill out the form and sworn statement
Download the PDF and fill out your details.
2. Get the application notarized
Take your form to a notary public and have it notarized.
You don’t need to have your application notarized for an Informational Copy. Informational copies are certified, but have “Informational: Not a valid document to establish identity” printed on them.
3. Mail your application
You must include:
- your filled out application
- notarized sworn statement
You can pay by personal check, money order, or bank check. Make it payable to “SF County Clerk”.
If you are using a personal check, it must:
- have the account holders name printed on it
- be from a bank in the USA
- payable to "SF County Clerk"
You should get your death certificate in 4 to 6 weeks.
Office of the County ClerkCity Hall, Room 160
1 Dr. Carlton B Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102
Closed on public holidays
Last updated December 5, 2023