Get recognized as a child's legal parent

Some parents need to fill out a form called a "Voluntary Declaration of Parentage" to access child support and other benefits.

What to do

Request the form

You can't fill the form out online. It has many pages, and requires an official witness.

You can either:

  • Visit us in person to get the form and fill it out  
  • Ask us to mail you a blank form (you'll need a witness)
  • Get the form from another place that can help

1. Fill out the form during our open hours

Child Support Services

Main Office
617 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94105-3503

Mon to Fri, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm

View location on google maps



3. Complete the form at one of these locations

You can ask for the form at:

  • The hospital, after birth
  • Your local registrar of births and deaths
  • County welfare office
  • Local court and family law facilitator office

Someone at these locations can help you understand and fill out the form. They can also serve as an authorized witness.

If you're not sure you’re the genetic parent, don’t sign the form. Ask us about free DNA testing.

What happens next?

After you submit the form, we'll be in touch with information and next steps. 

If you filled out the form and want to cancel it

If you filled out the form and want to cancel it

How to cancel a Voluntary Declaration of Parentage

Usually, you have 60 days from signing the form to cancel it. Find out how to cancel your VDOP form.

Get help

Questions about the process

  • Follow the directions to contact our office, or 
  • Contact Parentage Opportunity Program staff directly
  • Watch the Parentage Opportunity Program video 

    English | Spanish


Parentage Opportunity Program

You must answer automated questions before you talk to someone.

Last updated October 27, 2022