Get a free SF City ID Card

Get an identification card to get City services and benefits if you live in San Francisco.

What to do

You can get a SF City ID if you:

  • Live in San Francisco
  • Can prove who you are

When you get your SF City ID, it will show:

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Address
  • Signature
  • Photo
  • Medical conditions or allergies (if you want)
  • Emergency contact (if you want)

SF City IDs are good for 2 years.

SF City ID’s don’t show immigration status or gender. We don’t keep copies of your documents. We keep a copy of your application, but no record of your address.

1. Prove your identity

You can prove your identity if you can show an original and unexpired:

  • Passport, from the US or another country
  • US driver’s license
  • US state ID
  • Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
  • Consular Identification (CID)
  • Photo ID Card issued by another country that meets the requirements of SF Admin Code 95.1(a)

If you don’t have any of those, you can show 2 of the following not-expired documents: 1 with photograph (for age 14 and above), and 1 with date of birth:

  • Birth certificate (US or foreign, certified copy)
  • Military identification card (US or foreign)
  • Individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) authorization letter
  • Identification from a California school
  • National ID Card with photo, name, address, date of birth, and expiration date
  • Foreign driver's license
  • Visa issued by a government agency

2. Prove you live in San Francisco

You’ll need to bring one of the following, with your name and address in San Francisco (from the last 30 days):

  • Utility bill (electricity, gas, garbage, water, internet, cable or phone)
  • Bank statement 
  • Paystub
  • Income tax statement or refund statement
  • School enrollment for your child in a school in San Francisco
  • Property tax statement
  • Mortgage payment receipt
  • Ruling from the rent stabilization and arbitration board
  • Jury summons or court order
  • Insurance bill (homeowner, renter, health, life or auto)

You can also prove residency if you have a letter from a homeless shelter that gets City funding. Or if you have a letter from a hospital, health clinic or social services agency. 

If you bring an original marriage certificate (certified), any documents proving you live in San Francisco can be in your spouse’s name.

3. Make an appointment

You can make an appointment by calling 311 (outside San Francisco 415-701-2311). 

You can have your allergies or medical conditions shown on your card if you want. You’ll have to tell us what to show.

You will need to tell us if you’ve changed your name, but it won’t show on your card. You’ll need a court order and case number or a certified marriage certificate.

4. Fill out your application

Download the PDF and fill out your details. 

You will have to print it and bring it with you to your appointment.

5. Go to your appointment

You will have to go in person to your appointment to

Office of the County Clerk

City Hall, Room 160
1 Dr. Carlton B Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102

Closed on public holidays

There you will:

  • Bring your SF City ID application filled out
  • Show the original documents that prove your identity 
  • Show the documents that prove that you live in San Francisco
  • Get your picture taken
  • Receive your SF City ID before you leave your appointment

Appointments generally take 30 minutes.

Children 13 years old and under

You can get a SF City ID for a child 13 years old and under if they live in San Francisco. The ID is valid for 2 years.


1. Prove the child’s identity

You will need the child’s official medical or school record (from EPC - Educational Placement Center, with their office stamp on it), with their date of birth.

You also need another original document to prove who the child is.

That could be:

  • Birth certificate (US or foreign, certified)
  • Social security card
  • Current visa
  • California Educational Institution Card from a school.


2. Prove that the child lives in San Francisco

You need to prove that the child lives in San Francisco. 

You need to bring proof of a minor currently enrolled in a San Francisco school. 

If you can’t show that the child lives in San Francisco, you can use the parent or guardian’s proof of residency. 


3. Prove the parent or guardian’s identity

A parent or guardian must bring their child to the appointment and sign the application. The adult will need to show ID to prove their identity. The parent’s information will not be printed on the ID.

Get help

Office of the County Clerk

City Hall, Room 160
1 Dr. Carlton B Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102

Mon to Fri, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Processing Hours

View location on google maps

Closed on public holidays


Last updated May 15, 2023