Get a Fixed Place Outdoor Amplified Sound permit for your business

You need a permit if you want to host outdoor amplified sound on a regular basis with no live performer at your business.

What to do

About Fixed Place Outdoor Amplified Sound (FPAS) permits

You need a Fixed Place Outdoor Amplified Sound  (FPAS) permit if you want to have amplified sound outdoors on a regular basis with no live performer. 

An example is pre-recorded music, like a song playlist or a TV set, on a patio or parklet.

Outdoor amplified sound may not start before 9am or go past 10pm.

1. Check to see if you can apply

Email our Deputy Director at to find out if you can get a permit for your location, depending on zoning rules.

Include the following information in your email:

  • Your business name
  • Your business address
  • Your contact info
  • Types of amplified sound
  • Proposed days and hours of amplified sound, including the start time and end time

Wait for further instructions telling you if you can apply.

2. Submit your application

You must email us before you apply. And you may be required to visit the Planning Information Counter and fill out the Planning affidavit form before completing the application.  We will give you instructions on how to fill out the form in the email.

Get your documents ready

We will ask you for:

You may need to include these documents in your application: 

  • A diagram showing where speakers are located
  • Liquor license, if applicable
  • Health Permit from the SF Department of Public Health, if applicable

Applying does not guarantee you will get a permit. We will contact you if there is an issue with your application. For example, if you have a conviction history, we may ask you to provide more information about it

3. Attend a meeting

You'll meet with our Deputy Director. At this in-take meeting we will review the application in full with you and go over the next steps.

4. Pay the application fee

Pay online with a credit card or electronic check

You can also pay by check or money order. Make payable to “City and County of San Francisco.” 

We collect your permit application fee. Fees are updated every July. 

The Treasurer and Tax Collector bills you separately for the annual license fee.

5. Let your neighbors know

We send your application packet to City departments for their review and approval. These include the Planning Department, Police Department, and any other relevant City departments, depending on the permit you are applying for. 

The Entertainment Commission will schedule a hearing date. The Commission meets the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month. 

You will need to do outreach to your neighbors as discussed at your in-take meeting and post our yellow public notice at your location for 30 days. 


6. Schedule any required inspections

An inspection from other departments may be required. You will be given instructions at your in-take meeting.

Check inspection fees.

7. Attend the hearing

You will need to attend a public hearing.

Commissioners may ask you questions about your plans at the hearing. They will vote on whether to approve your permit. 

If you still have inspections that need to happen, you must pass those inspections before receiving the permit.

8. Post your permit

We will email you a PDF of your permit.

You must post it at your business location. Then you can begin holding the activity that the entertainment permit allows. 

Renew your entertainment permit every year by paying the annual license fee to the Treasurer and Tax Collector.

Get help

Entertainment Commission

49 South Van Ness
Suite 1482
San Francisco, CA 94103

This is our office but it's not open to the public. The Permit Center is accepting walk-ins. 

Permit Center (Entertainment Commission)

49 South Van Ness
2nd floor
San Francisco, CA 94103

Open to the public Tuesdays, 10am to 12pm and 1pm to 3pm


Kaitlyn Azevedo, Deputy Director

Last updated April 17, 2024