Get a Billiard Parlor permit for your business

A Billiard Parlor (BP) permit lets you charge customers to use 1 or more pool tables.

What to do

About Billiard Parlor (BP) permits

You need a Billiard Parlor (BP) permit if you want to charge customers to use:

  • 1 or more pool tables
  • at your business
  • on a regular basis

You don’t need this permit if you are not charging customers to use pool tables.

1. Submit your application

Get your documents ready

We will ask you for:

You may need to include these documents in your application: 

  • A diagram showing the location of your pool tables
  • Liquor license, if applicable
  • Health Permit from the SF Department of Public Health, if applicable

Applying does not guarantee you will get a permit. We will contact you if there is an issue with your application. 

2. Attend a meeting

You'll meet with our Deputy Director. At the meeting we will review the application in full with you and go over the next steps.

3. Pay the application fee

Pay online with a credit card or electronic check

You can also pay by check or money order. Make payable to “City and County of San Francisco.” 

We collect your permit application fee. Fees are updated every July. 

The Treasurer and Tax Collector bills you separately for the annual license fee.

4. Let your neighbors know

We send your application packet to City departments for their review and approval. These include the Planning Department, Police Department, and any other relevant City departments, depending on the permit you are applying for. 

The Entertainment Commission hearing date is scheduled. The Commission meets the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month. 

You may need to do outreach to your neighbors as discussed at your in-take meeting and post our yellow public notice at your location for 30 days. 


5. Attend the hearing

You will need to attend a public hearing.

Commissioners may ask you questions about your plans at the hearing. They will vote on whether to approve your permit. 

If you still have inspections that need to happen, you must pass those inspections before receiving the permit.

6. Post your permit

We will email you a PDF of your permit.

You must post it at your business location. Then you can begin holding the activity that the entertainment permit allows. 

Renew your entertainment permit every year by paying the annual license fee to the Treasurer and Tax Collector.

Get help

Entertainment Commission

49 South Van Ness
Suite 1482
San Francisco, CA 94103

This is our office but it's not open to the public. The Permit Center is accepting walk-ins. 

Permit Center (Entertainment Commission)

49 South Van Ness
2nd floor
San Francisco, CA 94103

Open to the public Tuesdays, 10am to 12pm and 1pm to 3pm


Kaitlyn Azevedo, Deputy Director

Last updated April 17, 2024