Comply with water conservation requirements

Replace old plumbing fixtures when selling, remodeling, or getting permits to make improvements to your home.

What to do

1. Schedule an inspection before you sell or remodel your home

Contact a qualified DBI-certified private Residential Energy and Water Inspector to perform the inspection. They will check your home for compliance with Chapter 12A of the SF Housing Code.

2. Complete any needed plumbing upgrades

You can get free water-saving devices from SFPUC, including free toilets.

3. Work with your home inspector to document the upgrades before you sell

You are required to get a Certificate of Completion documenting compliance with water conservation requirements:

  • Before transfer of title, if you are selling
  • At the time property alterations or improvements are performed, if you are remodeling or making improvements

Get help


Housing Inspection Services

Last updated November 21, 2022