Check what forms you need for your business permits

Answer our questions and we will tell you what forms you need to fill out to get your business permits through Prop H.

What to do

1. Find your BAN number

We will ask you for the Business Account Number (BAN). If you do not have it, look up your BAN.

You will use it to look up your Location ID number (LIN) in the form.

2. Gather your business location information

We will ask you about:

  • Your current and proposed use
  • Your square footage
  • Your occupant load

If you do not know your legal occupant load, contact your landlord or the SF Fire Department.

3. Check what forms you need

We will ask you about:

  • Your contact information
  • Your business information 
  • Your business location 
  • Your project plan

This will take about 15 minutes.

4. Check your email

We will email you the forms you must complete to apply for your permit.

We will email you within 3 days if you do not qualify for 30-day review under Prop H.

Special cases

If you do not have a BAN or LIN number

If you do not have a BAN or LIN number

If you have not registered as a business with the City, you may still check if your address and project qualifies for expedited review. 

You must get a BAN and LIN during your business permit process. You do not need them to start the process.

Register with the Treasurer and Tax Collector to get a Business Account Number.

See the Office of Small Business for more information and help about starting your business.

About Proposition H

The Save Our Small Businesses Initiative Ordinance (Proposition H) makes it easier for small businesses to open and operate in this challenging time. 

Proposition H eliminates months of permitting requirements and processes to help businesses get back to doing what they do best, running their business.

Get help

Last updated January 24, 2024