Change the owner of your massage establishment

Learn how to close or transfer a massage business.

What to do

1. Close the current business

If you are taking over ownership of an existing massage establishment, you’ll need to close the current business account. This is also known as inactivating your existing permit.

2. Tell the Treasurer and Tax Collector

Make sure you also let the Treasurer and Tax Collector know about any business or ownership change:

3. Get a permit

The new owner will need to apply for a new permit to operate a massage establishment. All massage practitioners need a Massage Therapist License from the California Massage Therapy Council (CAMTC) to work in San Francisco. You can also use a valid license from the City.

Special cases

If your business is dropping a partner

If your business is dropping a partner

If you’re dropping a partner or officer from your business entity, you need to submit a new application page. Fill out page 2 of the General Establishment Application packet.

Get help

Last updated April 16, 2024