San Francisco, CA – Today, the Asian Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) will put on full display San Francisco’s leadership as the AI Capital of the World. Mayor London N. Breed will introduce a panel of Artificial Intelligence leaders at the APEC CEO Summit, who will be discussing the latest developments in an industry that is set to drive the world economy. San Francisco has the most AI jobs offered of any city in the country and continues to see tremendous growth with AI companies continuing to expand and sign new leases.
To discuss the state of AI in San Francisco and around the world, at the APEC CEO Summit today at 3:45 p.m., Mayor Breed will introduce a panel discussion “Charting the Path Forward: The Future of Artificial Intelligence” with Laurene Powell Jobs, OpenAI CEO Sam Altman, Meta Chief Product Officer Chris Cox, and Google Senior Vice President James Manyika. This will be followed by a discussion between Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff and Special Presidential Envoy for Climate John Kerry on the future of AI.
“San Francisco is the AI Capital of the World and we are proud to show the visiting international community of leaders what is happening right here in this city,” said Mayor London Breed. “Since our city’s founding, we have been a center of innovation where people come together to change the world. We are a city where people don’t just dream about what’s next. Here in San Francisco, we have people with the ingenuity and talent to do the work to make that dream a reality.”
Key Facts about AI in San Francisco
San Francisco has the highest number of AI jobs offered of any city in the country.
- 22% of AI job postings in the country are from San Francisco-based companies. This is more than the second (Cupertino) and third (LA) highest ranked cities combined.
San Francisco’s AI footprint has grown 50% year over year
- The footprint of AI companies in San Francisco is 3.4 million gross square feet of office space.
San Francisco has led in attracting AI funding.
- The City has raised almost double the next largest market outside of the Bay Area since 2018.
Major AI Companies are Growing in San Francisco
- OpenAI signed a lease for 486,600 square feet in Mission Bay -- the largest office lease signing in San Francisco in 5 years.
- Anthropic recently signed a 250,000-square-foot lease.
San Francisco’s Position Sets it to Help Drive the World Economy
- According to Price Waterhouse Cooper, AI could contribute up to $15.7 trillion to the world economy in 2030.